Antigay Pol Claims His Antigay Comments Were Taken 'Out of Context'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2013 2:45 PM ET
Virginia lieutenant governor candidate E.W. Jackson claims that the homophobic comments that he has been criticized for making have been taken "out of context."
"I believe in the power of love, I've been teaching it for 30 years," he said Tuesday. "I don't I treat anybody with disrespect, and those comments have been taken completely out of context."
As previously reported, Jackson has a long history of incendiary statements, including comparing Planned Parenthood to the Ku Klux Klan, claiming that gays and lesbians have "perverted" minds and are "very sick people psychologically, mentally, and emotionally," saying openly gay and lesbian soldiers are "sexually twisted," and advocating for a law that would have required women to report miscarriages to police or face jail time.
Jackson, a Republican, tweeted that President Barak Obama's declaration that June was LGBT Pride Month made him "feel ikky [sic] all over. Yuk!"
Jackson defended his character at a debate Tuesday, but a new ad shows that his record of antigay statements has plenty of documentation:
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM