WATCH: Chris Christie Isn't a Bully, Still Doesn't Believe in Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 30 2013 10:35 AM ET
New Jersey governor Chris Christie is many things, but delicate isn't one of them. The Republican leading a heavily Democratic East Coast state has made a reputation for himself by calling out stupidity, often outright calling people "idiot," "jerk," "stupid," or "crazy."
But that doesn't make him a bully, Christie told CBS's Tracy Smith Sunday. He's just a "fighter."
"I think a bully is abusive," explained Christie. "And a fighter is somebody who's willing to mix it up to defend his or her point of view."
When asked by Smith if he believes in same-sex marriage, Christie was characteristically blunt.
"I do not," replied the Republican governor, who vetoed a bipartisan marriage equality bill that landed on his desk in February 2012. "But what I will tell you is that I understand that good people of goodwill have a difference of opinion on this. And so my view is, put it on the ballot. Let the people decide."
Watch Christie's interview with CBS below, and jump to the 3:30 mark for his discussion of marriage equality — which notably lacks any mention of last week's state court ruling that declared New Jersey must recognize marriages between same-sex couples. Hours after that ruling was published, Christie promised to appeal that ruling all the way to the state Supreme Court if necessary.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM