Homeowners Assn. President Receives Antigay Letter
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2013 4:21 PM ET
For Roseville, Calif., resident Jason Braga, being president of his homeowners' association was a happy experience until it was marred by an anonymous letter he received a year after his election, attacking him for being gay.
Braga, who lives with his partner, said he was shocked by the letter, and that he was worried about being physically attacked.
"I feel like we can't leave our house and worry," he told the CBS Sacramento affiliate. "And now we worry about whether something is going to happen when we leave."
The letter, filled with misspellings and other errors, reads in part, “ijust (sic) found out you are a f—– with amanin your home.our neighborhood is full of children like my own, you make me sick!!!” It continues, “DO NOT EVER COME TO MY HOME OR PROPERTY AGAIN OR ELSE ILL COME TO YOURS AGAIN AND AGAIN!!! GOD HELP YOU , NO ONE ELSE WILLYOU.”
Still, Roseville police say they will not treat the incident as a hate crime. Police lieutenant Cal Walstead said the letter, while disturbing, did not contain enough threatening language to be considered an act that would qualify as a hate crime.
“If the person had said they were going to hurt the person in some way, hurt their property, or say a loved one in some way, or vandalized their property, then we could have qualified it as more of a hate crime,” he told the TV station.
Braga said that in the end, he believes the letter only represents the feelings of one person and not his entire neighborhood association.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM