7 Scary Stories for a Homophobic Halloween
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 25 2013 2:30 PM ET
Someone Get an Exorcist
For "Dr. Chaps" Gordon Klingenschmitt, the debate over whether to let trans girls use the girls' restroom is really a battle against unseen demons. He said on his Pray in Jesus Name program that "our public school children are being told by a demonic spirit" that they must share the bathroom with transgender kids. And then when the girls get to the bathroom, "this demonic spirit inside of this boy is now violating — and for all intents and purposes — is now raping, at least visually, these teenage girls." Like so many of these utterly fictional stories, it comes with real-world consequences for the trans students being ostracized. It should be noted, though, that the state of California doesn't seem too convinced about demon possession and has passed a law requiring requiring schools to allow transgender students access to the facilities and programs that correlate with their gender identity.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'