7 Scary Stories for a Homophobic Halloween
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 25 2013 2:30 PM ET
Someone Get an Exorcist
For "Dr. Chaps" Gordon Klingenschmitt, the debate over whether to let trans girls use the girls' restroom is really a battle against unseen demons. He said on his Pray in Jesus Name program that "our public school children are being told by a demonic spirit" that they must share the bathroom with transgender kids. And then when the girls get to the bathroom, "this demonic spirit inside of this boy is now violating — and for all intents and purposes — is now raping, at least visually, these teenage girls." Like so many of these utterly fictional stories, it comes with real-world consequences for the trans students being ostracized. It should be noted, though, that the state of California doesn't seem too convinced about demon possession and has passed a law requiring requiring schools to allow transgender students access to the facilities and programs that correlate with their gender identity.
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- Booing Jennicet Was Wrong, But Was What She Did Worse?
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Thomas Roberts Quits Hosting Miss USA Pageant Over Donald Trump's Anti-Mexican Rant