7 Scary Stories for a Homophobic Halloween
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 25 2013 2:30 PM ET
Someone Get an Exorcist
For "Dr. Chaps" Gordon Klingenschmitt, the debate over whether to let trans girls use the girls' restroom is really a battle against unseen demons. He said on his Pray in Jesus Name program that "our public school children are being told by a demonic spirit" that they must share the bathroom with transgender kids. And then when the girls get to the bathroom, "this demonic spirit inside of this boy is now violating — and for all intents and purposes — is now raping, at least visually, these teenage girls." Like so many of these utterly fictional stories, it comes with real-world consequences for the trans students being ostracized. It should be noted, though, that the state of California doesn't seem too convinced about demon possession and has passed a law requiring requiring schools to allow transgender students access to the facilities and programs that correlate with their gender identity.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.