WATCH: The Best Moments from the Senate's ENDA Debate
BY Trudy Ring
November 05 2013 5:23 PM ET UPDATED: November 08 2013 8:11 PM ET
There have been some remarkable floor speeches this week in the U.S. Senate in support of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which passed the chamber for the first time in history with broad bipartisan support Thursday.
Sen. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin noted her historic position as the first openly LGBT member of the chamber, and Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, one of the ten Senate Republicans who voted in support of the bill, spoke passionately about the legacy of equality in his first floor speech since recovering from a stroke. But there were many others.
California Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer reiterated that it's time to pass the legislation, name-checking a story The Advocate's Michelle Garcia reported about Marty Edwards, a Texas bank executive who was fired when he asked his supervisors if his sexual orientation played a role in him being passed up for promotions for more than decade.
Watch Boxer's comments below and find more video highlights from the Senate debate on ENDA on the following page. And find out how the final vote broke down here.
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 21 min 4 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 5 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM