Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
PHOBIE AWARD: THE GOP'S VIRGINIA GUBERNATORIAL TICKET
We couldn't be happier that the Tea Party-blessed match of Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli for governor and Bishop E.W. Jackson for lieutenant governor lost in November in Virginia. It's still amazing, though, that the Republicans nominated either. This was the second big loss this year for Cuccinelli, who appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to reinstate a law against sodomy and finally failed in October. In a debate in July, he opted to stand by a comment from 2009 that "same-sex acts are against nature and harmful to society." That lines up pretty well with the views of his running mate, Jackson, who claimed that gays and lesbians have "perverted" minds and are "very sick people psychologically, mentally, and emotionally." There's hope for Virginia yet, though, with Democrat Terry McAuliffe winning the governor's job while also campaigning in support of marriage equality. — Lucas Grindley
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times