Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
PHOBIE AWARD: DICTATOR ROBERT MUGABE
This isn't the president of Zimbabwe's first appearance on our list of homophobes. He actually made "The 45 Biggest Homophobes of Our 45 Years" list back in 2012. Mugabe's done everything from calling gays "worse than pigs and dogs" in 1995 to locking up a member of parliament in 2011 for publicly suggesting the aging dictator might be gay himself. Then in 2012, Mugabe used a state-televised speech to say "to hell with you" to British prime minister David Cameron, who had said foreign aid might be tied to progress on human rights issues. With foreign aid further threatened, Mugabe still didn't tone it down in 2013. Instead, he used a rally before thousands of people to order decapitation of gay men. "If you take men and lock them in a house for five years and tell them to come up with two children and they fail to do that," he said in July, "then we will chop off their heads." — Lucas Grindley
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.