Clear as Mud: 7 Times Support Didn't Sound Supportive
BY Trudy Ring
April 01 2014 6:00 AM ET
Republican National Committee: Dave Agema, a former Michigan state legislator who now represents his state on the RNC, has made numerous outrageously antigay statements and posted homophobic misinformation on Facebook, leading to demands for him to resign from the RNC. A sampling of Agema’s misdeeds: saying Russia’s “gay propaganda” law is “a good law” and the U.S. should have one like it; alleging that gay men want free health care “because they’re dying between 30 and 44 years old”; and sharing articles by other antigay activists that included such unfounded assertions as “Many homosexuals admit they are pedophiles” and “The median age of death of lesbians is 45.” With a record like that, you'd think those self-proclaimed, equality-loving Republicans in charge of the party aparatus would be howling for his resignation every day, right? Michigan’s Republican governor, Rick Snyder, has condemned Agema’s inflammatory rhetoric, and RNC chair Reince Priebus has called for him to resign — but he’s still here. Michigan attorney general Bill Schuette has also urged Agema to quit the committee, yet Agema and Schuette were seen shaking hands at a recent event for Schuette’s reelection campaign. Oh, and by the way, Agema says the devil’s behind the push for his resignation.
- Another Event Moves; Gay Hotel Owners Apologize for Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Op-ed: Drag Race's Prison-Themed Challenge Raised Uncomfortable Questions
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter