Clear as Mud: 7 Times Support Didn't Sound Supportive
BY Trudy Ring
April 01 2014 5:00 AM ET
World Vision USA: This isn’t a case of muddy waters; it’s more like, first the group was clearly opening up to us, then it slammed the door shut. The worldwide Christian charity’s U.S. affiliate requires employees to abstain from sex outside marriage, but in late March it announced that it would treat same-sex marriages the same as opposite-sex unions. Its leaders noted that employees are drawn from 50 Christian denominations, some of which now solemnize same-sex marriages. But the day after the news broke, World Vision reversed itself, possibly in response to the outcry from ultraconservative Christians. “We failed to be consistent with World Vision U.S.’s commitment to the traditional understanding of Biblical marriage and our own Statement of Faith. … And we also failed to seek enough counsel from our own Christian partners. As a result, we made a change to our conduct policy that was not consistent with our Statement of Faith and our commitment to the sanctity of marriage,” said a statement from the group’s top officials. So, a group has issued a statement repenting for its support of equal rights? That's novel.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model