BY Advocate.com Editors
November 04 2009 1:50 PM ET
“We always said this was going to be a
razor-thin election and that’s exactly what it is,” Connolly said,
clearing his voice. He looked sweaty, pale and shaken. “If you ever
doubted for one moment the power of a single vote, well, tonight should
dispel that notion. Voting does matter.”
He didn’t concede — instead, he promised to make sure every vote and every absentee ballot was
counted. But those around him did. If not in quiet words, in their
“We’re not supposed to lose when we do everything right,” said
Jenna Lowenstein, communications director for the National Stonewall
People began to cry, and I sat frozen, glued to my seat. I lost my breath and dropped my head. I couldn’t believe it.
Ryan and Jim Bishop of Bar Mills appeared in one of the televised ads
for the campaign. They have been together for 34 years and hoped to one
day be married in their home state.
“The same people who didn’t
want to give women the right to vote are the same people who don’t want
us to get married,” said Ryan.
Both of them stood tall and said they are determined to not give up.
“I feel very affirmed,” Bishop said. “I can’t tell you how proud I am of my community.”
room emptied and the cameras, lights, and media exited the building. As
the hotel staff broke down tables, one man sat motionless in his seat
in the middle of the room in tears.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 1 hour 8 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 2 hours 45 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 2 hours 58 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM