BY Mike Albo
December 15 2009 5:40 PM ET
You are probably aware that alongside our mundane world, there is an ever-expanding parallel reality — the Celebrity Industrial Complex — where people try to make themselves look provocative and interesting so that you pay attention to them.
For example, Tila Tequila — the pseudo-celebrity promotion machine — has been making sure the mediaverse is fully aware she is engaged to Casey Johnson, the heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune. (Can you believe it? Tila found someone with money! All those poor contestants over two seasons of A Shot at Love never had a chance! I can’t believe she wasn’t furreal!)
As reported by Us Weekly, Tequila prepares her fans for the big news in a video message, saying, “So are you ready for this big announcement that's going to change our lives? This is exclusive and going to be all over the news tomorrow, but because I love you guys so much, we are giving you the exclusive first.”
She shows off a ring which she insists is "not fake, because my baby is a fucking baller. She's a billionaire! She's the heiress of Johnson & Johnson. Anyway, we are going to make love tonight for our honeymoon.”
It’s tough to stand out these days. With more and more celebrities and celebrity wannabes, provocative behavior is becoming integral to any fame-seeker’s career pursuits. Some have to sneak into the White House to get airtime, but if you are a pretty young thing, you can try making out with another girl and becoming a fauxmosexual celesbian to get noticed.
Even talented artists do it.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM