BY Advocate Contributors
March 09 2010 9:15 PM ET
the Census does not ask questions regarding gender identity.
Transgender people may classify themselves by the gender they choose,
defining their identity as male or female as they see fit.
Census is not a panacea for all LGBT causes, but it definitely
provides us the opportunity to be counted. As we make our presence felt,
the pressure on our government officials and the public at large for
tolerance and equality creates a palpable effect.
It will be
another 10 years before the next Census — let’s make this one count.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM