BY Michelle Garcia
March 31 2010 7:20 PM ET
Suh said that garnering 200,000 users with a minimal marketing push in the site’s first year has been astounding, and so is the caliber of clientele. Because of the price tag and the emphasis on long-term relationships (as opposed to some oh-so-popular hookup sites), Compatible Partners’ users are seen as quite desirable — most users are between the ages of 30 and 50, earn more than $60,000 annually, and have at least a bachelor’s degree. What mom wouldn’t like those odds for her son or daughter?
Breton also was kind enough to give me a tour of the eHarmony offices, which feature walls plastered with photos of satisfied couples from around the world ... including a few same-sex couples.
Sprinkled among the photos are Brian, a teacher, and Amir, an associate producer, a couple of guys in their mid 20s who found each other on the site and fell in love. They were matched up in the end of May, and by October Amir moved about 40 miles south into Brian’s condo in Long Beach, Calif.
“Around our third date, Brian came by my job late at night one time to surprise me, to just say hi,” Amir says. “That could have been really risky. If it was a different person, I would have been like, ‘Why is he at my job?’ But I thought it was the sweetest thing ever.”
Neither would describe himself as a barfly, so it's likely that without the site, they would have never met. “We’re more about having an at-home dinner party and hosting with friends,” Amir says.
Personally, I'm not much of a barfly, and neither is my fiancé. We prefer cheap bottles of champagne and watching Lost. And because of this, I decided to delete my profile within 24 hours of creating it. The experience was fun, but I guess it wouldn't be good for my marriage to start getting flirtatious e-mails from women like Rebecca, a 29-year-old who likes dogs, wants kids, and enjoys long walks on the beach.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 3 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 2 hours 26 min ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 2 hours 59 min ago
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 6:18 PM