Gays Need a Drug Intervention
BY Michael Lucas
February 17 2011 3:20 PM ET
Then I witnessed, at every port, stretchers offloading people who had overdosed. It was no different from New York’s Black Party, where drugs are snorted and pills are popped gleefully out in the open. I was so disgusted that I walked out within 20 minutes. From Fire Island to Miami, every gay circuit party has a medical tent, and they’re busy places.
These experiences and the latest Atlantis embarrassment have caused me to wonder what it is about our community that allows us to accept this behavior as normal? I think it might come down to our obsession with appearances.
We’re all about looks and trying to appear young — many lying about their ages in their online profiles — and spending hours each week at the gym to make our bodies look perfect. On that gay cruise I went on, I noticed how all the massages and facials were booked, the gym was always packed, and how few people ever touched dessert.
But many of these same individuals, so obsessed with how their chests and abs appeared on the outside, were trashing themselves on the inside — going days without sleeping and poisoning their bloodstreams with toxins.
It reminded me of the movie Postcards From the Edge,when Shirley MacLaine filled a blender with carefully selected health foods and then poured in a half liter of vodka. Except this really isn’t funny. It’s time for those of us who skip the white pony rides to tell our druggie friends that we are done being witnesses and accomplices to their self destruction.
Yes, these people are self-medicating away the pain from childhood scars left by bullying, abuse, and homophobia. Clearly, the only time they feel free is when they’re high on drugs. But enough is enough. We should tell our friends who do drugs that either they have to quit or we’ll have nothing to do with them anymore. We should tell them to get therapy, get sober, and get a life.
It’s time we restore the term “party and play” to a more innocent meaning.
It’s time to stop giving the police reason to bring drug dogs to our vacations.
It’s time for our community to stage a collective, lifesaving intervention.
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 19 min 4 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM