Israeli Delegation's Shameful Decision at Gay Pride
BY Michael Lucas
April 20 2011 7:50 PM ET
Many in Israel will assume that the LGBT movement there is led by self-loathing losers. It will play into stereotypes of sissy gays who are too scared to stand up for themselves. Most gay Israelis would sooner die than betray their identity and deny their flag. Unfortunately, anti-Semitism isn't dead in Europe, and that includes from within the gay community.
Last year a delegation of gay residents of Tel Aviv was barred from joining a gay pride march in Madrid because authorities in the Israeli city had not condemned the recent attack on the Gaza flotilla. So now this Israeli pride delegation is making a pathetic plea: "Please, please let us into your pride. We hate our country as much as you do! We will not even bring our flags, we will just blend in, so you will not even know who we are! We are gays, we are not Israelis."
If this group marches in Berlin — and it's not too late to stop them — it will be a complete misrepresentation of both the strength and spirit of a people who have fought to defend both their country and their place in society.
Israel must send to Berlin individuals who've got the courage to hold their heads — and their flags — up high.
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM