Israeli Delegation's Shameful Decision at Gay Pride
BY Michael Lucas
April 20 2011 6:50 PM ET
Many in Israel will assume that the LGBT movement there is led by self-loathing losers. It will play into stereotypes of sissy gays who are too scared to stand up for themselves. Most gay Israelis would sooner die than betray their identity and deny their flag. Unfortunately, anti-Semitism isn't dead in Europe, and that includes from within the gay community.
Last year a delegation of gay residents of Tel Aviv was barred from joining a gay pride march in Madrid because authorities in the Israeli city had not condemned the recent attack on the Gaza flotilla. So now this Israeli pride delegation is making a pathetic plea: "Please, please let us into your pride. We hate our country as much as you do! We will not even bring our flags, we will just blend in, so you will not even know who we are! We are gays, we are not Israelis."
If this group marches in Berlin — and it's not too late to stop them — it will be a complete misrepresentation of both the strength and spirit of a people who have fought to defend both their country and their place in society.
Israel must send to Berlin individuals who've got the courage to hold their heads — and their flags — up high.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM