The Other Gay Contenders
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2011 8:30 AM ET
- Rory Neuner
- Running for Lansing, Mich., city council
Rory Neuner is the kind of talent bleeding from Lansing, and most of central Michigan. While many high school and college graduates up-and-leave Michigan for greener pastures — according to a recent study — Neuner is staying put, and as a candidate for Lansing City Council, she hopes to make Michigan's capital a more livable place for all people.
"I am running to break the stalemate on a number of challenges facing our city," Neuner tells The Advocate. "Lansing needs positive, professional leadership. I have a deep background in public policy and urban planning and work by day as an advocate on transportation policy issues here in the state capitol. Voters here want change, and I am the only challenger in this race with experience crafting public policy."
Neuner, who lives with her partner of six years in Lansing’s Moores Park neighborhood, is active in numerous organizations, including the Ingham County Women’s Commission, the REO Town Commercial Association, the South Lansing Community Development Association, the Moores Park Neighborhood Organization, the Lansing Area Economic Partnership, and she's a public service board member for the city of Lansing. Issues pertaining to biking and public transit are important to Neuner, and she's lobbied to pass legislation that wpuld benefit pedestrians and cyclists.
The ambitious young woman says her community is ready to embrace an honest civil servant, regardless of whether that person is gay or straight.
"Lansing is a diverse, welcoming community," Neuner says. "Voters are accepting me for who I am — an active, engaged member of the community, and a highly-qualified candidate that wants to make this city great." —Neal Broverman
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 54 min 22 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 10 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 44 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 46 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM