Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 3:00 AM ET
Chris Christie, governor of New Jersey
- In early 2012, Christie vetoed a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage, stipulating that the issue “should be left to the people of New Jersey to decide.” His call for a statewide referndum was decried by activists who said civil rights should never be put up to a majority vote.
- Although the governor opposes same-sex marriage, he has stressed that same-sex couples in a civil union, which are legal in his state, “deserve the very same rights and benefits enjoyed by married couples.” Romney no longer supports civil unions, although he once floated the idea as an alternative when his state was ordered by the courts to permit same-sex marriage.
- Christie is widely praised for passing one the nation's most rigorous antibullying laws.
- When a teacher in his state made antigay comments on Facebook, he was quick to condemn her words as "disturbing" and called for an examination of her behavior in the classroom.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM