Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 3:00 AM ET
Bob McDonnell, governor of Virginia
- As a Virginia legislator, McDonnell coauthored a 2007 constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman.
- In 2010 he signed a bill into law that allows companies to offer health insurance to same-sex partners of employees (but only after the Virginia General Assembly had approved the measure with unanimous votes).
- In 2012, McDonnell signed another bill into law: one that permits faith-based adoption centers and foster care agencies to discriminate against gay parents: “Most of the data that I’ve read [is] that the best environment for a child to grow up to be fully capable of achieving the American dream and having the best start at life is an intact two-parent family made up of a man and a woman.” (Although Romney once implied he might support the right of same-sex couples to adopt, he made his opposition clear shortly after and has many times bragged about siding with the Catholic Church in Massachusetts on its desire to discriminate in adoptions and foster care.)
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 7 min 1 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 11 min 57 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 20 min 49 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 25 min 8 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 34 min 34 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 38 min 48 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 28 min ago