Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 4:00 AM ET
Bob McDonnell, governor of Virginia
- As a Virginia legislator, McDonnell coauthored a 2007 constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman.
- In 2010 he signed a bill into law that allows companies to offer health insurance to same-sex partners of employees (but only after the Virginia General Assembly had approved the measure with unanimous votes).
- In 2012, McDonnell signed another bill into law: one that permits faith-based adoption centers and foster care agencies to discriminate against gay parents: “Most of the data that I’ve read [is] that the best environment for a child to grow up to be fully capable of achieving the American dream and having the best start at life is an intact two-parent family made up of a man and a woman.” (Although Romney once implied he might support the right of same-sex couples to adopt, he made his opposition clear shortly after and has many times bragged about siding with the Catholic Church in Massachusetts on its desire to discriminate in adoptions and foster care.)
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM