Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 3:00 AM ET
Bob McDonnell, governor of Virginia
- As a Virginia legislator, McDonnell coauthored a 2007 constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman.
- In 2010 he signed a bill into law that allows companies to offer health insurance to same-sex partners of employees (but only after the Virginia General Assembly had approved the measure with unanimous votes).
- In 2012, McDonnell signed another bill into law: one that permits faith-based adoption centers and foster care agencies to discriminate against gay parents: “Most of the data that I’ve read [is] that the best environment for a child to grow up to be fully capable of achieving the American dream and having the best start at life is an intact two-parent family made up of a man and a woman.” (Although Romney once implied he might support the right of same-sex couples to adopt, he made his opposition clear shortly after and has many times bragged about siding with the Catholic Church in Massachusetts on its desire to discriminate in adoptions and foster care.)
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM