Gay Republican Congressional Hopeful Releases First TV Ad
BY Julie Bolcer
August 08 2012 6:16 PM ET
Richard Tisei, a former Massachusetts state senator running to be the first openly gay Republican elected to Congress, released the first television ad of his campaign Wednesday morning.
The 30-second spot features the candidate talking about his connections to the 6th District north of Boston. He uses words including “independent” and “bipartisan,” but he does not mention that he is a Republican or gay.
Tisei, a realtor, faces the eight-term Democratic incumbent Rep. John Tierney. The race is competitive, with House Republicans seeking to position one of their own in Massachusetts for the first time since 1997. Scott Brown became the first Republican to represent the state in the U.S. Senate in almost 40 years in 2010, when he won the 6th District, according to Roll Call, which recently rated the Tisei-Tierney contest a "toss-up."
Unlike Senator Brown, Tisei publicly supports repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, which only one Republican in Congress, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida, has endorsed. The Log Cabin Republicans and the Victory Fund have endorsed Tisei.
The candidates are nearly tied in fund-raising, according to the Salem News, with the challenger outpacing the incumbent in recent months. Tisei raised $569,000 in the last quarter, compared to over $400,000 for Tierney. Overall, Tisei has raised $1.23 million, with Tierney taking in $1.3 million.
The Tisei campaign reports that the new ad will run on cable TV throughout the district at a cost of $43,000 per week.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark 51 min 49 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested 1 hour 58 min ago
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 2 hours 59 min ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 4:25 PM