Gay Republican Congressional Hopeful Releases First TV Ad
BY Julie Bolcer
August 08 2012 5:16 PM ET
Richard Tisei, a former Massachusetts state senator running to be the first openly gay Republican elected to Congress, released the first television ad of his campaign Wednesday morning.
The 30-second spot features the candidate talking about his connections to the 6th District north of Boston. He uses words including “independent” and “bipartisan,” but he does not mention that he is a Republican or gay.
Tisei, a realtor, faces the eight-term Democratic incumbent Rep. John Tierney. The race is competitive, with House Republicans seeking to position one of their own in Massachusetts for the first time since 1997. Scott Brown became the first Republican to represent the state in the U.S. Senate in almost 40 years in 2010, when he won the 6th District, according to Roll Call, which recently rated the Tisei-Tierney contest a "toss-up."
Unlike Senator Brown, Tisei publicly supports repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, which only one Republican in Congress, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida, has endorsed. The Log Cabin Republicans and the Victory Fund have endorsed Tisei.
The candidates are nearly tied in fund-raising, according to the Salem News, with the challenger outpacing the incumbent in recent months. Tisei raised $569,000 in the last quarter, compared to over $400,000 for Tierney. Overall, Tisei has raised $1.23 million, with Tierney taking in $1.3 million.
The Tisei campaign reports that the new ad will run on cable TV throughout the district at a cost of $43,000 per week.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 1 hour 13 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM