Gay Republican Congressional Hopeful Releases First TV Ad
BY Julie Bolcer
August 08 2012 6:16 PM ET
Richard Tisei, a former Massachusetts state senator running to be the first openly gay Republican elected to Congress, released the first television ad of his campaign Wednesday morning.
The 30-second spot features the candidate talking about his connections to the 6th District north of Boston. He uses words including “independent” and “bipartisan,” but he does not mention that he is a Republican or gay.
Tisei, a realtor, faces the eight-term Democratic incumbent Rep. John Tierney. The race is competitive, with House Republicans seeking to position one of their own in Massachusetts for the first time since 1997. Scott Brown became the first Republican to represent the state in the U.S. Senate in almost 40 years in 2010, when he won the 6th District, according to Roll Call, which recently rated the Tisei-Tierney contest a "toss-up."
Unlike Senator Brown, Tisei publicly supports repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, which only one Republican in Congress, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida, has endorsed. The Log Cabin Republicans and the Victory Fund have endorsed Tisei.
The candidates are nearly tied in fund-raising, according to the Salem News, with the challenger outpacing the incumbent in recent months. Tisei raised $569,000 in the last quarter, compared to over $400,000 for Tierney. Overall, Tisei has raised $1.23 million, with Tierney taking in $1.3 million.
The Tisei campaign reports that the new ad will run on cable TV throughout the district at a cost of $43,000 per week.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM