PHOTOS: Gay Moments From the DNC's First Day
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 1:37 AM ET
Michelle Obama said same-sex couples are looking for the American dream. And she characterized getting married as part of America's "story of unwavering hope grounded in unyielding struggle" during her widely praised speech on Tuesday during the Democratic National Convention.
"If a generation could defeat a depression, and define greatness for all time… if a young preacher could lift us to the mountaintop with his righteous dream… and if proud Americans can be who they are and boldly stand at the altar with who they love… then surely, surely we can give everyone in this country a fair chance at that great American Dream," she said to loud applause.
Earlier the first lady had explained her husband's connection to the American dream and gave a nod to LGBT people.
"Barack knows the American Dream because he's lived it," she said, "and he wants everyone in this country to have that same opportunity, no matter who we are, or where we're from, or what we look like, or who we love."
See more photos from some of the convention's LGBT-inclusive moments on the following pages.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 1 hour 4 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM