Columnist: Watch Out, Tammy Baldwin Is a 'Radical Lesbian'
BY Lucas Grindley
October 19 2012 5:56 PM ET
Wisconsin Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin is once again being attacked as a "radical lesbian."
A columnist for The Washington Times, known for its conservative bent, penned a column on Wednesday headlined, "Radical lesbian knocking on Senate door." Jeffrey Kuhner warned that, "Wisconsin’s voters are poised to break new ground on the cultural front: electing the first openly lesbian U.S. senator. This would mark a watershed for the homosexual movement — and a major blow against traditional America."
That Baldwin is a lesbian led Kuhner to argue she wants to "advance the destructive sexual revolution of the 1960s."
"Ms. Baldwin has made no secret of her lesbian lifestyle," he writes breathlessly. "She is a vocal supporter of gay pride and the LGBT community. She told the liberal Huffington Post that her Senate candidacy is historic. Ms. Baldwin stressed that 'breaking through these glass ceilings has a ripple effect.' In other words, her election would — and should — encourage other avowed gays and lesbians to enter high office."
As strange as it might seem to attack someone for supporting gay pride, Baldwin has faced it before. Her Republican opponent Tommy Thompson's political director circulated footage of Baldwin dancing during a 2010 pride event and questioned whether she exemplifies "heartland values."
In his column, Kuhner warns that Baldwin seeks "legitimacy" for LGBT people. And if she gets it, he foresees "increased child abuse, higher rates of drug addiction and alcoholism, soaring violence and rampant teenage promiscuity" — all of which Kuhner lists as the effects of eroding his "traditional family."
Baldwin has repeatedly been attacked for being a lesbian. A television ad from the Karl Rove-affiliated super PAC, American Crossroads, labeled her in big red letters as "TOO EXTREME." It briefly includes the seven-term congresswoman interjecting "damn right," as if she were a stereotypical angry lesbian.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM