Columnist: Watch Out, Tammy Baldwin Is a 'Radical Lesbian'
BY Lucas Grindley
October 19 2012 5:56 PM ET
Wisconsin Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin is once again being attacked as a "radical lesbian."
A columnist for The Washington Times, known for its conservative bent, penned a column on Wednesday headlined, "Radical lesbian knocking on Senate door." Jeffrey Kuhner warned that, "Wisconsin’s voters are poised to break new ground on the cultural front: electing the first openly lesbian U.S. senator. This would mark a watershed for the homosexual movement — and a major blow against traditional America."
That Baldwin is a lesbian led Kuhner to argue she wants to "advance the destructive sexual revolution of the 1960s."
"Ms. Baldwin has made no secret of her lesbian lifestyle," he writes breathlessly. "She is a vocal supporter of gay pride and the LGBT community. She told the liberal Huffington Post that her Senate candidacy is historic. Ms. Baldwin stressed that 'breaking through these glass ceilings has a ripple effect.' In other words, her election would — and should — encourage other avowed gays and lesbians to enter high office."
As strange as it might seem to attack someone for supporting gay pride, Baldwin has faced it before. Her Republican opponent Tommy Thompson's political director circulated footage of Baldwin dancing during a 2010 pride event and questioned whether she exemplifies "heartland values."
In his column, Kuhner warns that Baldwin seeks "legitimacy" for LGBT people. And if she gets it, he foresees "increased child abuse, higher rates of drug addiction and alcoholism, soaring violence and rampant teenage promiscuity" — all of which Kuhner lists as the effects of eroding his "traditional family."
Baldwin has repeatedly been attacked for being a lesbian. A television ad from the Karl Rove-affiliated super PAC, American Crossroads, labeled her in big red letters as "TOO EXTREME." It briefly includes the seven-term congresswoman interjecting "damn right," as if she were a stereotypical angry lesbian.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 22 min 50 sec ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 1 hour 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM