Antigay Watch List: The Worst Who Want Your Vote
BY Trudy Ring
October 31 2012 6:00 AM ET
Virginia Foxx, U.S. House of Representatives, North Carolina, fifth district
Most of America met Virginia Foxx in 2009 during the debate over the expansion of the federal hate-crimes law. “The hate-crimes bill that’s called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn’t because he was gay. … It’s really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills.” The bill passed despite her unfortunate statement, expanding the federal definition of hate crimes to cover those based on sexual orientation or gender identity, allowing greater resources for investigation, prosecution, and prevention of such crimes. Her district, however, was not afraid to return her to Congress for a fourth term in 2010, and now she’s seeking a fifth.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God