Antigay Watch List: The Worst Who Want Your Vote
BY Trudy Ring
October 31 2012 6:00 AM ET
Todd Akin, U.S. Senate, Missouri
Todd Akin, a U.S. House member seeking to move up to the Senate, became infamous this year with his remark about women’s bodies being able to prevent pregnancy in cases of “legitimate rape.” His antigay rhetoric is just as mind-boggling. He said expansion of the federal hate-crimes law would actually “increase hatred,” and he referred to repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” as “an eclipse of reason.” He tried to create a “conscience protection clause” for military personnel, including chaplains, who object to open service of gay members of the military. And he sponsored an amendment to ban the use of military bases for same-sex weddings. When President Obama endorsed marriage equality in May, Akin put out a press release saying, “The Obama administration has once again revealed its unquenchable desire to tear down the traditional family unit brick by brick.”
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out