Antigay Watch List: The Worst Who Want Your Vote
BY Trudy Ring
October 31 2012 5:00 AM ET
George Allen, U.S. Senate, Virginia
George Allen, who lost a Senate reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term, is seeking to return to the chamber this year. Perhaps he’d like to go back to a time before that incident happened; at least, his campaign website reveals an anachronism. It says that as senator, he would “vote against adding sexual orientation to federal hate crimes statutes,” not mentioning that a bill doing just that was passed and signed into law in 2009. Maybe this son of a pro football coach needs to watch an instant replay. Or maybe he just felt the need to appease social conservatives, who were upset by his support of such legislation earlier in his career, leading him to make a right turn and vote against an inclusive hate-crimes measure in 2005. His website also notes that he “does not support same-sex couples adopting children” and thinks the Defense of Marriage Act “does not fully protect the institution of marriage,” so he supports an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to keep gay couples out.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM