Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 6:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 4:13 PM ET
Above: Sims, Dietz, and McEntee
Brian Sims—Pennsylvania House of Representatives - RESULTS: Sims Wins
Running uncontested, Brian Sims was elected to Pennsylvania’s House of Representatives on Tuesday — making him the state’s first openly gay legislator. Sims, 33, will represent the 182nd district in Harrisburg. The son of two retired Army lieutenant colonels, Sims is an attorney widely credited with turning around Equality Pennsylvania, a once-floundering LGBT group that has since pushed successfully for municipal LGBT protections around the state.
Christopher Dietz—Pennsylvania House of Representatives - RESULTS: Dietz Defeated
With all of the precincts reporting, Christopher Dietz lost his race with 45% of the vote. Republican incumbent Susan Helm won by 2,700 votes, with 55% of voters supporting her in Republican-leaning central Pennsylvania. Dietz was engaged in a heated race against Helm, whose campaign staff and supporters sent out vicious mailers slamming him.
Kelly Jean McEntee—Pennsylvania House of Representatives - RESULTS: McEntee Defeated
With all of the precincts reporting, Kelly McEntee lost her race with 35% of the vote. The 24-year Republican incumbent Ron Marsico won by about 10,000 votes, with 65% of the total. McEntee, an engineer, was actively campaigning against Marsico, with efforts including a seven-mile walk from Marsico's house to the capitol building to protest the fact that he was reimbursed for more than $7,000 in travel and meal expenses. Still, Harrisburg's Patriot-News endorsed Marsico, partly because of his seniority on the House Judiciary Committee.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1 hour 36 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM