Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 6:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 4:13 PM ET
Josh Boschee — North Dakota House of Representatives, District 44
RESULTS: Boschee Wins
Joshua Boschee was chosen to be North Dakota's first openly gay member of the state legislature. Boschee ran against two Republican incumbents, Blair Thoreson and Don Clark, as well as three other challengers to win 26.13% of the vote. The difference, according to the Valley News, was only 38 votes.
Boschee becomes one of the youngest state legislators anywhere. He did that despite being attacked in Internet ads declaring that he is promoting a "gay agenda." Boschee said that his campaign was not solely about him being a gay man, and his opponents have also condemned the ads. Fargo TV station WDAY reports that the ads originated with a right-wing group called Public Advocate, headed by a Virginia elected official, Eugene Delgaudio. Delgaudio is being investigated by the FBI over allegations that he used public employees to raise funds for his political campaigns.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 12 Celebrities Who Lovingly Embrace Their LGBT Children