Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 6:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 4:13 PM ET
David Cicilline — U.S. House (Rhode Island 1)
RESULTS: Cicilline Wins
Democrat David Cicilline won reelection in Rhode Island’s first congressional district after a vicious race with challenger Brendan Doherty.
Cicilline, a former mayor of Providence, became the nation’s fourth openly LGBT member of Congress when elected two years ago. He will now serve Rhode Island in the House of Representatives until at least early 2015.
“We’re thrilled that David will return to Capitol Hill, where his voice will be vital in a growing caucus of openly LGBT lawmakers,” said Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Victory Fund, which helped Cicilline’s campaign, in a statement.
The 51-year-old was embroiled in a fiercely competitive contest to retain his seat against Doherty, the former head of the state police. (Read More About This Race)
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel