Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 6:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 4:13 PM ET
David Cicilline — U.S. House (Rhode Island 1)
RESULTS: Cicilline Wins
Democrat David Cicilline won reelection in Rhode Island’s first congressional district after a vicious race with challenger Brendan Doherty.
Cicilline, a former mayor of Providence, became the nation’s fourth openly LGBT member of Congress when elected two years ago. He will now serve Rhode Island in the House of Representatives until at least early 2015.
“We’re thrilled that David will return to Capitol Hill, where his voice will be vital in a growing caucus of openly LGBT lawmakers,” said Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Victory Fund, which helped Cicilline’s campaign, in a statement.
The 51-year-old was embroiled in a fiercely competitive contest to retain his seat against Doherty, the former head of the state police. (Read More About This Race)
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 35 min 59 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 30 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM