Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 5:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 3:13 PM ET
David Cicilline — U.S. House (Rhode Island 1)
RESULTS: Cicilline Wins
Democrat David Cicilline won reelection in Rhode Island’s first congressional district after a vicious race with challenger Brendan Doherty.
Cicilline, a former mayor of Providence, became the nation’s fourth openly LGBT member of Congress when elected two years ago. He will now serve Rhode Island in the House of Representatives until at least early 2015.
“We’re thrilled that David will return to Capitol Hill, where his voice will be vital in a growing caucus of openly LGBT lawmakers,” said Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Victory Fund, which helped Cicilline’s campaign, in a statement.
The 51-year-old was embroiled in a fiercely competitive contest to retain his seat against Doherty, the former head of the state police. (Read More About This Race)
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW 1 hour 10 min ago
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM