Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 5:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 3:13 PM ET
Sean Patrick Maloney — U.S. House (New York 18)
RESULTS: Maloney Wins
Sean Patrick Maloney has defeated Congresswoman Nan Hayworth to become the first openly gay person elected to represent New York in Congress.The Associated Press called the race for the out Democrat shortly after 1 a.m. Wednesday, according to Capital Tonight. He challenged a first-term Republican incumbent who had shown some support for equality measures.
The highly competitive contest took place in the newly drawn 18th congressional district in the Lower Hudson Valley, an area of mostly suburban counties north of New York City. While the race focused on the economy, it held the distinction of asking LGBT people to weigh the candidacy of one of their own versus a potential ally. (Read More About The Race)
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View