Election Results: LGBT Races to Watch
BY Michelle Garcia
November 06 2012 5:37 PM ET UPDATED: November 12 2012 3:13 PM ET
Richard Tisei — U.S. House (Massachusetts 6)
RESULTS: Tisei Defeated
After a tight, contentious race, Democratic incumbent John Tierney defeated gay Republican Richard Tiesi in the battle to represent Massachusetts's sixth congressional district. Tisei lost with 47% of the vote, while Tierney scraped by with 48%. The race was one of the country's most expensive congressional races, as well as one of the nastiest, according to Politico.
Tisei's win would have made him the first openly gay nonincumbent Republican to win election. A supporter told The Boston Globe, "If this state won't elect a Republican like Richard Tisei, it will never elect a Republican." In his acceptance speech Tuesday evening, Tierney said, "In the end this was not about our family and it wasn’t about his family. It was about your families. You owned this. This is your victory." (Read More About The Race)
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6