Elizabeth Warren Wins; Sometimes Ally Scott Brown Sent Packing
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2012 11:04 PM ET
Massachusetts voters returned a Democrat to the Senate, and at the same time sent home a Republican who had at times sided with LGBT Americans.
Whether Republican Sen. Scott Brown was a true ally was a point of contention made by Log Cabin Republicans who once gave him its highest award. Brown had broke with his party to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
But the moments when he was supporting LGBT Americans weren't likely to hurt him in liberal Massachusetts. Brown even penned a column in the LGBT newspaper Bay Windows in April hoping to woo some voters.
“I don’t come before you with a checklist of items promising that I will be an advocate for you on each and every one of them,” wrote Brown. “My opponent has already started down that road, promising to support everyone’s pet project. That’s not the way I have ever operated.”
On that list, Warren repeatedly emphasized that she (unlike Brown) supports repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act and supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
A super PAC founded by lesbians, called LPAC, had spent money supporting Warren in the race.
HRC President Chad Griffin is happy to have Elizabeth Warren in the Senate: "Senator-elect Warren’s victory tonight is nothing short of inspiring. As she prepares to fill the seat once held by the late Senator Edward Kennedy, I have no doubt that Senator-elect Warren will be an equally dogged leader for LGBT Americans and our families."
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 56 min 39 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 56 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM