Elizabeth Warren Wins; Sometimes Ally Scott Brown Sent Packing
BY Lucas Grindley
November 06 2012 11:04 PM ET
Massachusetts voters returned a Democrat to the Senate, and at the same time sent home a Republican who had at times sided with LGBT Americans.
Whether Republican Sen. Scott Brown was a true ally was a point of contention made by Log Cabin Republicans who once gave him its highest award. Brown had broke with his party to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
But the moments when he was supporting LGBT Americans weren't likely to hurt him in liberal Massachusetts. Brown even penned a column in the LGBT newspaper Bay Windows in April hoping to woo some voters.
“I don’t come before you with a checklist of items promising that I will be an advocate for you on each and every one of them,” wrote Brown. “My opponent has already started down that road, promising to support everyone’s pet project. That’s not the way I have ever operated.”
On that list, Warren repeatedly emphasized that she (unlike Brown) supports repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act and supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
A super PAC founded by lesbians, called LPAC, had spent money supporting Warren in the race.
HRC President Chad Griffin is happy to have Elizabeth Warren in the Senate: "Senator-elect Warren’s victory tonight is nothing short of inspiring. As she prepares to fill the seat once held by the late Senator Edward Kennedy, I have no doubt that Senator-elect Warren will be an equally dogged leader for LGBT Americans and our families."
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 51 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 50 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM