Is Tom McClintock's Congressional Win a Set Back for LGBT Voters?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 07 2012 1:40 PM ET
When California recalled Gov. Gray Davis from office in 2004 and had to choose a replacement, Tom McClintock, then a state senator, was the pick of right-wing true believers who thought the eventual winner, movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican in name only. Elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2008 (representing California's fourth district), McClintock was reelected Tuesday.
McClintock's win isn't a boon to LGBT voters, though, as he's one of the more antigay politicians in Congress. He still takes an interest in California legislation; on his campaign website he has promoted the effort to repeal a California law mandating the inclusion of LGBT people and accomplishments in public school curricula.
The law, he said, represents “a gross overreach by the state Legislature to usurp the parental rights of Californians” and “exposes young children to curriculums and textbooks promoting objectionable lifestyles.”
So far, however, the repeal effort has failed.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang 10 min 2 sec ago
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? 23 min 8 sec ago
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested 1 hour 3 min ago
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 2 hours 4 min ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 4:25 PM
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 3:14 PM