Have We Seen the Last of Antigay Allen West?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 07 2012 1:10 PM ET
It's still not for certain that Tea Party favorite Allen West has been voted out of office, but his LGBT-supportive opponent is claiming victory.
With 100% of precincts reporting, Patrick Murphy leads West, 50.4% to 49.6% in Florida's 18th district. Separating them are only 2,456 votes. West is demanding a recount.
West is running for a second term and is known for his outlandish statements. He once said that people don’t get fired for being gay, so antidiscrimination laws are unnecessary. He opposed repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” on the grounds that gay and lesbian service members “can change their behavior,” adding that repeal was the first step in a process that would eventually “break down the military.”
Another West gem: “The term ‘gay marriage’ is an oxymoron,” and with its legalization, along with abortion and the national debt, “it just becomes a matter of time before you don’t have society.”
Murphy is for marriage equality and the right of gay couples to adopt, and he opposes workplace discrimination.
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend