Have We Seen the Last of Antigay Allen West?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 07 2012 1:10 PM ET
It's still not for certain that Tea Party favorite Allen West has been voted out of office, but his LGBT-supportive opponent is claiming victory.
With 100% of precincts reporting, Patrick Murphy leads West, 50.4% to 49.6% in Florida's 18th district. Separating them are only 2,456 votes. West is demanding a recount.
West is running for a second term and is known for his outlandish statements. He once said that people don’t get fired for being gay, so antidiscrimination laws are unnecessary. He opposed repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” on the grounds that gay and lesbian service members “can change their behavior,” adding that repeal was the first step in a process that would eventually “break down the military.”
Another West gem: “The term ‘gay marriage’ is an oxymoron,” and with its legalization, along with abortion and the national debt, “it just becomes a matter of time before you don’t have society.”
Murphy is for marriage equality and the right of gay couples to adopt, and he opposes workplace discrimination.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 16 min 30 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 26 min 12 sec ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 1 hour 4 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM