Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
Michele Bachmann, U.S. House of Representatives, Minnesota, 6th District
Michele Bachmann yet again eked out a win in her Minnesota district and returns to Congress with severely antigay views. With 100% of districts reporting, Bachmann had 50.6% of the vote in the sixth district, compared to 49.4% for Democratic challenger Jim Graves. Only 4,207 votes separated them.
The title of queen (so to speak) of the country's antigay congressional candidates had to go to Bachmann. The failed presidential candidate had described being gay as “bondage” and “part of Satan,” and her husband Marcus’s counseling clinics offer so-called reparative therapy, a widely discredited practice aimed at turning gay people straight. The Bachmanns have denied the clinics provide this type of therapy, but undercover investigations indicate they do. (Read More About The Race)
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Op-ed: Why LGBT and the GOP Are Better Together
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre