Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
Michele Bachmann, U.S. House of Representatives, Minnesota, 6th District
Michele Bachmann yet again eked out a win in her Minnesota district and returns to Congress with severely antigay views. With 100% of districts reporting, Bachmann had 50.6% of the vote in the sixth district, compared to 49.4% for Democratic challenger Jim Graves. Only 4,207 votes separated them.
The title of queen (so to speak) of the country's antigay congressional candidates had to go to Bachmann. The failed presidential candidate had described being gay as “bondage” and “part of Satan,” and her husband Marcus’s counseling clinics offer so-called reparative therapy, a widely discredited practice aimed at turning gay people straight. The Bachmanns have denied the clinics provide this type of therapy, but undercover investigations indicate they do. (Read More About The Race)
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Mixed Messages: Supreme Court Denies Review of 'Ex-Gay' Therapy Ban, Trans Inmate's Surgery
- WATCH: Can the GOP Presidential Field Get Any More Antigay?