Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
Michele Bachmann, U.S. House of Representatives, Minnesota, 6th District
Michele Bachmann yet again eked out a win in her Minnesota district and returns to Congress with severely antigay views. With 100% of districts reporting, Bachmann had 50.6% of the vote in the sixth district, compared to 49.4% for Democratic challenger Jim Graves. Only 4,207 votes separated them.
The title of queen (so to speak) of the country's antigay congressional candidates had to go to Bachmann. The failed presidential candidate had described being gay as “bondage” and “part of Satan,” and her husband Marcus’s counseling clinics offer so-called reparative therapy, a widely discredited practice aimed at turning gay people straight. The Bachmanns have denied the clinics provide this type of therapy, but undercover investigations indicate they do. (Read More About The Race)
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality