Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
Virginia Foxx, U.S. House of Representatives, North Carolina, 5th District
Antigay Republican Virginia Foxx has won a fifth term in the U.S. House of Representatives from North Carolina, defeating Democrat Elisabeth Motsinger.
Most of America met Virginia Foxx in 2009 during the debate over the expansion of the federal hate-crimes law. “The hate-crimes bill that’s called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn’t because he was gay. … It’s really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills.” The bill passed despite her unfortunate statement, expanding the federal definition of hate crimes to cover those based on sexual orientation or gender identity, allowing greater resources for investigation, prosecution, and prevention of such crimes.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- Atlanta-Area Family Terrorized Again: Car Torched After Flag-Burning
- The Man Behind the Strip