Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 5:00 AM ET
George Allen, U.S. Senate, Virginia
Former Virginia governor Tim Kaine, a Democrat, has defeated Republican George Allen in the race for a U.S. Senate seat from the state. Allen, who was a former senator from the state, lost his reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term. He has a record of opposing marriage equality and, in a flip-flop, LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes laws. His website also noted that he “does not support same-sex couples adopting children” and thinks the Defense of Marriage Act “does not fully protect the institution of marriage,” so he supported an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to keep gay couples out.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise?
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 36 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 42 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 1 hour 47 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 1 hour 56 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 2 hours 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 2 hours 6 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM