Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
George Allen, U.S. Senate, Virginia
Former Virginia governor Tim Kaine, a Democrat, has defeated Republican George Allen in the race for a U.S. Senate seat from the state. Allen, who was a former senator from the state, lost his reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term. He has a record of opposing marriage equality and, in a flip-flop, LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes laws. His website also noted that he “does not support same-sex couples adopting children” and thinks the Defense of Marriage Act “does not fully protect the institution of marriage,” so he supported an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to keep gay couples out.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 21 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM