Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
George Allen, U.S. Senate, Virginia
Former Virginia governor Tim Kaine, a Democrat, has defeated Republican George Allen in the race for a U.S. Senate seat from the state. Allen, who was a former senator from the state, lost his reelection bid in 2006 after being caught on tape using a derogatory racial term. He has a record of opposing marriage equality and, in a flip-flop, LGBT-inclusive hate-crimes laws. His website also noted that he “does not support same-sex couples adopting children” and thinks the Defense of Marriage Act “does not fully protect the institution of marriage,” so he supported an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to keep gay couples out.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- PHOTOS: Big Gay Weddings Across Texas
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'