New York City Adds Three Out City Council Members
BY Michelle Garcia
September 11 2013 6:43 PM ET
Last night's election in New York City increased the number of out politicians on the City Council, including a race to replace lesbian Council speaker Christine Quinn.
Corey Johnson, who is gay, won district 3 with 63% of the vote over lesbian civil rights attorney Yetta Kurland, Gay City News reports. Johnson, an LGBT activist, has served on community board 4, which is in his new district. He will preside over Quinn's current district, which includes Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, and the West Village, when the new term begins.
Becoming Brooklyn's first openly gay councilmember as well as the city's first Mexican-American councilmember, Carlos Menchaca unseated 10-year incumbent Sara González with 58% of the vote in district 38. Menchaca previously worked for Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz, and also worked on Quinn's staff focused on LGBT and HIV issues.
The Bronx's Ritchie Torres, 25, beat five other candidates with 36% of the vote in district 15, also making him the borough's first out official. Torres was an aide to councilman James Vacca and was endorsed by Bronx borough president Rubén Díaz Jr., the gay-friendly son of a conservative, antigay Democrat, state senator Rubén Díaz Sr.
Meanwhile in Manhattan, Lower East Side councilmember Rosie Mendez of district 2 won a primary challenge with 80% of the vote against Rev. Richard Del Rio of Abounding Grace Church.
Mendez, Torres, Johnson, and Menchaca were all backed by the Victory Fund, as were Quinn, who lost her mayoral bid Tuesday, and transgender candidate Mel Wymore. In a race on Manhattan's Upper East Side, Wymore lost 27% to 22% to Helen Rosenthal, with whom he served on a local community board.
With the newly elected members joining Queens Democrats Jimmy van Bramer and Daniel Dromm, the New York City Council will have six out members starting in January.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 30 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 46 min 19 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 20 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 23 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 46 min ago