Amnesty International Asks St. Petersburg to Reinstate Pride March
BY Charles Hicks
July 06 2012 8:08 PM ET
St. Petersburg, Russia, authorities Thursday canceled the Pride march previously approved for Saturday, prompting Amnesty International to request the march permit be reinstated.
"It is time for St. Petersburg to portray itself as a global city where tolerance and respect for human rights are held high and where there is no place for discrimination," said Sergei Nikitin, director of the Moscow office of Amnesty Internationial, according to Gay Star News. "Such behavior paints the St. Petersburg authorities in a very negative light, as they are flouting their international obligations to protect the basic human rights of all city residents."
Meanwhile, St. Petersburg activists said they intend to march regardless. "We will hold the event as planned," organizer Yury Gavrikov told the media Friday.
In March a law banning "propaganda of sodomy, lesbianism, bisexuality and transgenderness among minors" was approved in St. Petersburg, making it the fourth Russian city to adopt antigay legislation.
The antigay sentiment has been spurred on by leading Russian politicians and the Russian Orthodox Church and runs counter to Russia's decriminalization of homosexuality 20 years ago.
Amnesty International also spoke out in May against the arrest of participants in a Moscow LGBT Pride event.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 19 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 2 hours 17 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 2 hours 19 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM