New York Governor Repeats Pledge to Sign Marriage Bill
BY Kerry Eleveld
October 21 2008 11:00 PM ET
"I am most
pleased that a number of African-American and Hispanic
legislators who at first were unable to see the congruent
connection between the rights of lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgender people and our struggle
waged throughout the centuries were able to see it that
night and voted for that legislation," he said.
against characterizing the battle for equal rights as the
promotion of an agenda. "The fight for people who are gay or
lesbian or bisexual or transgender to have the same
rights as any other Americans is as American as
the signing of the Constitution," he said.
He capped his
speech by reiterating his commitment to passing a marriage
bill and signing it into law: "We're going to persevere, and
we're going to do it with a new sheriff in town who's
going to sign marriage equality legislation."
In a press
conference following his speech, Paterson downplayed the
notion that passage of California's marriage ban,
Proposition 8, would have much impact on passing a
marriage bill in New York.
"I think it would
probably make some people who had been antagonistic to
the idea think that they could remain that way," he said.
"But I think in New York there are enough senators in
the senate as it's comprised right now to pass
described how taking a vote on what he called "meaningful
legislation" challenges people to seriously assess the
implications of their vote.
"It's the moment
when people really have to gauge whether or not they
want to deny people who care about each other the right to
formalize it," he said, adding that he believes a
number of assembly members who originally intended to
oppose the marriage bill actually voted to pass it in
reason why I've always been in favor of meaningful
legislation getting to the floor of the house and the
senate, even if it loses," he said.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 4 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 9 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 17 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 1 hour 20 min ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 2 hours 4 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM