BY Kerry Eleveld
September 03 2009 2:25 PM ET
New York’s marriage equality bill has had a wild ride this year, to say the least.
Though Governor Paterson introduced his marriage bill -- known as a “program bill” -- in April amid some dissent, the measure passed the assembly rather handily, 89-52, in May. But in June a power struggle between Republicans and Democrats in the senate ground Albany to a halt, confounding attempts to get a vote on the bill. By July, Democrats regained control of the senate with Senator Espada becoming the majority leader and Senator Smith remaining senate president.
But Paterson hopes that will all be water under the bridge by the end of the year.
“After the loss of Proposition 8 in California, I've sensed a little confusion and maybe stunned reaction from a lot of the advocates,” he said. Legalizing same-sex marriage in New York, he added, could help “reignite” the marriage spark that tore through the Northeastern states earlier this year.
“I think New York can play an immense role in terms of the national discussion about marriage equality and getting that train right back on the track,” Paterson said.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM