BY Kerry Eleveld
September 03 2009 2:25 PM ET
New York’s marriage equality bill has had a wild ride this year, to say the least.
Though Governor Paterson introduced his marriage bill -- known as a “program bill” -- in April amid some dissent, the measure passed the assembly rather handily, 89-52, in May. But in June a power struggle between Republicans and Democrats in the senate ground Albany to a halt, confounding attempts to get a vote on the bill. By July, Democrats regained control of the senate with Senator Espada becoming the majority leader and Senator Smith remaining senate president.
But Paterson hopes that will all be water under the bridge by the end of the year.
“After the loss of Proposition 8 in California, I've sensed a little confusion and maybe stunned reaction from a lot of the advocates,” he said. Legalizing same-sex marriage in New York, he added, could help “reignite” the marriage spark that tore through the Northeastern states earlier this year.
“I think New York can play an immense role in terms of the national discussion about marriage equality and getting that train right back on the track,” Paterson said.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM