BY Charlene Strong
October 22 2009 1:20 PM ET
Within an hour we were at Westport City Hall.
It’s a beautiful colonial building sitting atop a small hill in the
center of town. It couldn’t have been more picture-perfect.
we were met by three amazingly friendly women in the city clerk’s
office. They were proud of Connecticut’s embrace of same-sex marriage
and couldn’t do enough to help us and congratulate us. Coming from
Miami, the city with the most road rage incidents in the nation, it
was a bit like stepping into an alternative universe.
before them, after forking over $35, we raised our right hands and took
a civil oath. In exchange, we got our marriage license. It was a pretty
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 29 min 30 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 41 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM