BY Charlene Strong
October 22 2009 1:20 PM ET
From there, we celebrated. Champagne was popped and toasts were shared all around.
our wedding brunch, our friends and family told stories and laughed.
Our families were coming together. That’s what happens in a marriage — families come together, and a new one is made. That’s what I feel
happened to us that day. Something new, the marriage of Keith and
Charles, came into existence, and those we love and the state of
Connecticut acknowledged it. Maybe it shouldn’t matter, but it does.
friend Anne was there. She arrived that morning from Manhattan. With
her came two little men, grooms, that now proudly stood on top of our
One at a time, we fed each other that slice of wedding cake, to the cheers of all around.
It was good. It was very good.
now we march off into the future, charged with making good on all that
we promised to each other. I don’t think either of us expects it to be
easy, but, as a good friend once told me, character is never built by
doing easy things. On the other hand, when you’re with the one you
love, it is the easiest thing in the world.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 23 min 58 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 36 min 58 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 57 min 36 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 16 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 23 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 48 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 2 hours 2 min ago