BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2009 4:10 PM ET
leadership here is Maine people,” Sullivan said. “These are Maine
people crafting and shaping the campaign. We’ve been very focused ... and
doing whatever we can to reach out to the Maine people."
MaryBeth Luce is
one of those who is reaching out, with the help of her sister Jamee
Luce of Augusta. They were both raised on Shady Maple Deer Farm in
Starks, Maine, and are both unequivocally voting no on Question 1.
MaryBeth is straight and married with two young children. Her sister is
a lesbian and lives with her partner of eight years.
they worry most about the small towns in Maine that often breed
discrimination and fear of the unknown — including in their own
family. Jamee said she was scared to come out to her father, whom she
describes as the quintessence small-town Mainer.
the true Mainer way. He lives about 10 miles away from where he grew
up ... and he’s not been exposed to a lot of diversity, He sees no reason
Their mother is a staunch Catholic.
think she’s voting no because I asked her to,” Jamee said. “This
pushes the envelope for most people to the core ... I know it does for
Overall, the Luce sisters believe that there has never been a better place to fight for marriage equality.
“The progressive essence of Maine is to live and let live,” MaryBeth said. “That’s what Maine is all about.”
we tend to surprise people,” Jamee said. “Maine elected two Republican
women to represent us in the Senate. We’re not a Republican state, but
people just love them. I don’t think you can bottleneck us into any one
According to a Public Policy Poll taken this month,
74% of Maine's registered Republicans plan to vote yes on 1, repealing
marriage equality, as well as 25% of Democrats. This shows that
that independent voters may become the deciding factor on the issue.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 7 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM