BY Advocate.com Editors
October 29 2009 3:10 PM ET
leadership here is Maine people,” Sullivan said. “These are Maine
people crafting and shaping the campaign. We’ve been very focused ... and
doing whatever we can to reach out to the Maine people."
MaryBeth Luce is
one of those who is reaching out, with the help of her sister Jamee
Luce of Augusta. They were both raised on Shady Maple Deer Farm in
Starks, Maine, and are both unequivocally voting no on Question 1.
MaryBeth is straight and married with two young children. Her sister is
a lesbian and lives with her partner of eight years.
they worry most about the small towns in Maine that often breed
discrimination and fear of the unknown — including in their own
family. Jamee said she was scared to come out to her father, whom she
describes as the quintessence small-town Mainer.
the true Mainer way. He lives about 10 miles away from where he grew
up ... and he’s not been exposed to a lot of diversity, He sees no reason
Their mother is a staunch Catholic.
think she’s voting no because I asked her to,” Jamee said. “This
pushes the envelope for most people to the core ... I know it does for
Overall, the Luce sisters believe that there has never been a better place to fight for marriage equality.
“The progressive essence of Maine is to live and let live,” MaryBeth said. “That’s what Maine is all about.”
we tend to surprise people,” Jamee said. “Maine elected two Republican
women to represent us in the Senate. We’re not a Republican state, but
people just love them. I don’t think you can bottleneck us into any one
According to a Public Policy Poll taken this month,
74% of Maine's registered Republicans plan to vote yes on 1, repealing
marriage equality, as well as 25% of Democrats. This shows that
that independent voters may become the deciding factor on the issue.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 13 min 9 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 18 min 5 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 26 min 57 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 31 min 16 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 40 min 42 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 44 min 56 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 34 min ago