BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2009 3:40 PM ET
Last year acclaimed stage performer Terri White was homeless and living in a public park. On Sunday she and her partner held a leather-themed commitment ceremony onstage following her triumphant Broadway return in Finian’s Rainbow.
Donna Barnett glanced nervously around the St. James Theatre minutes before the Sunday matinee of Finian’s Rainbow on Broadway. It was nearly one year to the day after she met her partner, stage veteran Terri White, and although the women were due to hold a commitment ceremony onstage following that afternoon’s performance, the minister had yet to take his seat for the show.
That the minister eventually arrived, and the performance and ceremony flowed smoothly, came as no surprise, least of all to White, who captured the sense of inevitability with the title of her show-stopping number, “Necessity.”
A little over one year ago, White found herself evicted and living in Washington Square Park in New York City. Now, thanks to an incredible turn of events reported in The New York Times and on the CBS Evening News, the onetime Barnum star finds herself, for the first time in 20 years, back on Broadway, where she proclaimed her love for Barnett before 100 relatives, friends and cast members in a post-performance ceremony on Sunday.
“It’s overwhelming,” said White, 61, outside the theater on West 44th Street after the event. “It’s bringing up bad times, but it’s grand times now,” she said.
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Pro-Marriage Equality Ill. Republican Won't Seek State Party Chairmanship 8 min 10 sec ago
- Women Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship 14 min 14 sec ago
- Theater What Does Jane Lynch Have in Common with Miss Hannigan, Her Role in Broadway's Annie? 20 min 48 sec ago
- Women Chely Wright and Lauren Blitzer Welcome Twins 24 min 48 sec ago
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 53 min 50 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 56 min 48 sec ago
- Transgender WATCH: Catholic School Won't Let Trans Grad Wear Men's Garb 1 hour 20 min ago