Love and Activism
BY Kenneth Harvey
May 07 2010 2:20 AM ET
Will you discuss the marriage tour when you return to Las Vegas?
definitely will. CBS, KLS a local CBS affiliate actually ran a story on
us. They actually went with us to West Hollywood to cover our story and
did a follow up story with Proposition 8. We definitely help to inspire
people. We spoke at the Gay and Lesbian Center in Las Vegas and we're
out there trying to make a difference.
Do you have any plans
to resurrect the marriage tour in the future?
As each state comes
up we'll do this. As far as what the future holds, I don't know. This
trip has made a difference for me as in it has opened my eyes. I think
there's things to do in the future, I just don't know what to do yet. I
think there's an opening for whatever that is.
kinds of work have you done with the community?
I was a part of
the staff at the Gay and Lesbian Center in Los Angeles and I've always
volunteered my time. I’ve volunteered time at AIDS Walk and for AIDS
rides. We’re pretty involved with supporting our local gay and lesbian
organizations. My company, excellence promo donates time and resources
as a natural progression.
Were you sponsored on this tour?
How are you able to pay for this trip?
We paid for the entire
trip. The expense of the tour was well over $3,000 and was not something
we could really afford. We decided that we couldn't afford not to. We
already missed the opportunity to marry in Maine, and wanted to make
sure to marry in every state before the voters, and the tyranny of the
majority, have an opportunity to reverse the laws.
you felt patriotic when you were traveling through Plymouth, Mass.,
Boston, Philadelphia and New York. Can you explain why you felt such a
strong sense of patriotism?
Often skeptical and cynical about our
post-9/11 views regarding patriotism, we embarked on a remarkable
journey of love, activism and patriotism. During our multi-state
marriage tour, we reconnected with something that we thought we lost,
our appreciation for this country. More specifically, we gained a
profound respect for our forefathers and their extraordinary vision of a
new world of freedom, equality and democracy. George Washington, Thomas
Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, the pilgrims aboard the
Mayflower were all radical activists!
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 21 min 54 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 6 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 1 hour 22 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM