Marriage, Hawaiian Style
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 06 2010 6:55 PM ET
Among the first to tie the knot, of course, will be the plaintiffs. “We feel we’ve waited all our lives for this,” says Melillo. “Every year is a hardship.” He and Lagon, both of whom are ministers, have talked about Melillo’s performing the ceremony himself. “We have family expecting a fabulous ceremony,” Melillo says. “We’d be neglectful if we didn’t have one.”
Baehr and Dancel plan a private wedding on a mountain slope in Maui, away from the glare of the media. “We may have found ourselves doing our best to live up to our surprise responsibility as role models,” says Baehr. “But on our wedding day it’s not about public education. It’s about our commitment to each other, and that’s private and personal.”
Sitting on their patio in Waianae on Oahu with their daughter, her boyfriend, and their 7-month-old grandson, Pregil and Rodrigues talk about the case every night. They keep a running conversation of their plans.
“I wanted to get married on Christmas Day,” says Pregil.
“But we have our grandson’s party coming up, so we’ll have to do that first,” Rodrigues explains.
“She wants it fabulous,” adds Pregil. “I want it simple.”
“I guess I’m old-fashioned,” Rodrigues concludes. “You do it once and one time only. For me, once I’m married, even if there are hard times, I’m not getting a divorce. I’ll do whatever I have to to make it work. I don’t fight for something just to let it go.”
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 49 min 29 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 6 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 15 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 40 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 43 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 16 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 2 hours 19 min ago