Wedding Album: John and Mike
BY Advocate Contributors
July 26 2011 10:45 AM ET
John Carroll & Michael Gallagher
New York City
Michael and John met when John was on tour with a Broadway show in Philadelphia. They had their first date, then John went on the road. With John in one city one week and another the next, the couple learned how long-distance relationships work. Together they created a way of getting to know each another. And this weekend they got married.
“It feels great to be a part of history," John said Sunday as couples gathered at City Hall to marry. "The energy is amazing. Being outside waiting in line, the sense of community that is happening here is really fantastic.”
John's family came in from Long Island, and Michael’s family traveled up from Pennsylvania. The moment for the couple comes with a natural "It Get Better" message because John and Michael were both bullied as kids.
John said that if he "could have told that young kid that he would get married some day and there will be this historic day with your family at City Hall, it would have made a world of difference."
Click here for more coverage of marriage equality in New York
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: Pastor Gets a Taste of His 'Sodomite Semen' Lattes By Sharing Parody Video
- WATCH: NOM's Finances Are Even Worse Than We Thought
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role