Wedding Album: John and Mike
BY Advocate Contributors
July 26 2011 11:45 AM ET
John Carroll & Michael Gallagher
New York City
Michael and John met when John was on tour with a Broadway show in Philadelphia. They had their first date, then John went on the road. With John in one city one week and another the next, the couple learned how long-distance relationships work. Together they created a way of getting to know each another. And this weekend they got married.
“It feels great to be a part of history," John said Sunday as couples gathered at City Hall to marry. "The energy is amazing. Being outside waiting in line, the sense of community that is happening here is really fantastic.”
John's family came in from Long Island, and Michael’s family traveled up from Pennsylvania. The moment for the couple comes with a natural "It Get Better" message because John and Michael were both bullied as kids.
John said that if he "could have told that young kid that he would get married some day and there will be this historic day with your family at City Hall, it would have made a world of difference."
Click here for more coverage of marriage equality in New York
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'