Wedding Album: Rhonda and Debra
BY Advocate Contributors
July 26 2011 10:55 AM ET
Rhonda Otten and Debra Curtis
Rhonda and Debra met at a women’s conference at Rutgers University in New Jersey, and they instantly connected. They've been together ever since, six years in total. But it was their 10-year-old daughter who was the biggest advocate for getting married.
New Jersey offers same-sex couples only civil unions, which just wasn’t the same to them. So they decided to come to New York City on Sunday to make sure they were among the first to wed.
Rhonda and Debra’s flowers were made by a neighbor, and their families joined them for the ceremony. Afterward, Rhonda’s mom pulled the photographer aside to say how beautiful it was that her daughter could finally marry the love of her life and that it hurts her heart that people in other states cannot do the same.
Click here for more coverage of marriage equality in New York
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM