Wedding Album: Rhonda and Debra
BY Advocate Contributors
July 26 2011 11:55 AM ET
Rhonda Otten and Debra Curtis
Rhonda and Debra met at a women’s conference at Rutgers University in New Jersey, and they instantly connected. They've been together ever since, six years in total. But it was their 10-year-old daughter who was the biggest advocate for getting married.
New Jersey offers same-sex couples only civil unions, which just wasn’t the same to them. So they decided to come to New York City on Sunday to make sure they were among the first to wed.
Rhonda and Debra’s flowers were made by a neighbor, and their families joined them for the ceremony. Afterward, Rhonda’s mom pulled the photographer aside to say how beautiful it was that her daughter could finally marry the love of her life and that it hurts her heart that people in other states cannot do the same.
Click here for more coverage of marriage equality in New York
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- 11 Best Moments From the Marriage Argument Everyone's Talking About
- WATCH: Michael Sam Should 'Gay It Up,' Says Daily Show