Wedding Album: Rhonda and Debra
BY Advocate Contributors
July 26 2011 11:55 AM ET
Rhonda Otten and Debra Curtis
Rhonda and Debra met at a women’s conference at Rutgers University in New Jersey, and they instantly connected. They've been together ever since, six years in total. But it was their 10-year-old daughter who was the biggest advocate for getting married.
New Jersey offers same-sex couples only civil unions, which just wasn’t the same to them. So they decided to come to New York City on Sunday to make sure they were among the first to wed.
Rhonda and Debra’s flowers were made by a neighbor, and their families joined them for the ceremony. Afterward, Rhonda’s mom pulled the photographer aside to say how beautiful it was that her daughter could finally marry the love of her life and that it hurts her heart that people in other states cannot do the same.
Click here for more coverage of marriage equality in New York
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 12 min 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 15 min 12 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 45 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 48 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 15 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 2 hours 21 min ago