Wedding Album: Nirvana and Ruth
BY Advocate Contributors
July 27 2011 8:50 AM ET
Nirvana and Ruth Galvez
Nirvana and Ruth flew in from California, where same-sex marriages are not legally recognized. They came to New York alone because they didn't want to risk missing another window of opportunity.
When gay marriage was briefly legal in California, they were unable to get married, and by the time they could, it was too late. Proposition 8 had already gone into effect. So they decided to fly out for the first day of weddings in New York, where they could see the sights and enjoy a spontaneous honeymoon.
Wanting to avoid that repeated old question — “Who is the man in your relationship?” — they wore matching outfits. That's one of the things you learn after 10 years together. When they return to San Diego, Nirvana and Ruth expect their supportive family and friends will be ready to party.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 3 min 17 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 28 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 24 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 40 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 5:00 PM
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM