Wedding Album: Nirvana and Ruth
BY Advocate Contributors
July 27 2011 7:50 AM ET
Nirvana and Ruth Galvez
Nirvana and Ruth flew in from California, where same-sex marriages are not legally recognized. They came to New York alone because they didn't want to risk missing another window of opportunity.
When gay marriage was briefly legal in California, they were unable to get married, and by the time they could, it was too late. Proposition 8 had already gone into effect. So they decided to fly out for the first day of weddings in New York, where they could see the sights and enjoy a spontaneous honeymoon.
Wanting to avoid that repeated old question — “Who is the man in your relationship?” — they wore matching outfits. That's one of the things you learn after 10 years together. When they return to San Diego, Nirvana and Ruth expect their supportive family and friends will be ready to party.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM