Wedding Album: Nirvana and Ruth
BY Advocate Contributors
July 27 2011 8:50 AM ET
Nirvana and Ruth Galvez
Nirvana and Ruth flew in from California, where same-sex marriages are not legally recognized. They came to New York alone because they didn't want to risk missing another window of opportunity.
When gay marriage was briefly legal in California, they were unable to get married, and by the time they could, it was too late. Proposition 8 had already gone into effect. So they decided to fly out for the first day of weddings in New York, where they could see the sights and enjoy a spontaneous honeymoon.
Wanting to avoid that repeated old question — “Who is the man in your relationship?” — they wore matching outfits. That's one of the things you learn after 10 years together. When they return to San Diego, Nirvana and Ruth expect their supportive family and friends will be ready to party.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 36 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 2 hours 12 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 22 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM