A Most-Wanted List: Mayors Not for Marriage
BY Josh Hinkle
February 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Mayors for the Freedom to Marry, a project of Evan Wolfson's Freedom to Marry organization, asks city bosses to sign a pledge backing marriage equality. So far, 154 mayors have signed the pledge, with 25 coming from the top 50 most populous U.S. cities. But that means there are 25 big-city mayors who still haven't signed.
Among them are Mike Rawlings of Dallas, who angered many with the following explanation: "I'm a bit pledge-phobic. I think America has got too many pledges out there and I think it's simplistic and not substantive. I'm a mayor that wants to be substantive."
What do other mayors on the most-wanted list have to say for themselves? Click next for statements that The Advocate has gathered from some of the other major holdouts.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: Krave Massive Nightclub Opens in Las Vegas 12 min 5 sec ago
- Style Hairy Hose for Hairless Bros? 28 min 57 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality 1 hour 2 min ago
- Style WATCH: How to Dress For Summer 1 hour 7 min ago
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 1 hour 40 min ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 1 hour 54 min ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 2 hours 28 sec ago