Rick Warren: God Opposes Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
April 09 2012 2:07 PM ET
Megachurch pastor Rick Warren says he won’t endorse marriage equality because he doesn’t “have the right to change” the word of God.
Sunday on ABC’s This Week, host Jake Tapper pointed out to Warren that a recent ABC News poll showed a majority of Americans supporting equal marriage rights for gay couples. He asked if Warren and his Saddleback Church would ever change positions on the subject, as “churches have throughout the years adjusted their position, for instance, on divorce.”
Warren responded, “Well, if the Bible is the word of God, then I don’t have the right to change it. ... And to me, the Bible is very clear that sex is for a man and a woman in marriage only.” He added, “History shows that when the church accommodates culture, it weakens it. This is why there is a very weak church in Europe today. It’s almost nonexistent in many areas.”
Warren has become prominent nationally with his huge Southern California church and books such as The Purpose-Driven Life. He delivered the invocation at President Obama’s inauguration in 2009; his antigay stances made him a controversial choice for this assignment.
Watch video of the exchange on marriage below, courtesy of Think Progress.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM