Rick Warren: God Opposes Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
April 09 2012 1:07 PM ET
Megachurch pastor Rick Warren says he won’t endorse marriage equality because he doesn’t “have the right to change” the word of God.
Sunday on ABC’s This Week, host Jake Tapper pointed out to Warren that a recent ABC News poll showed a majority of Americans supporting equal marriage rights for gay couples. He asked if Warren and his Saddleback Church would ever change positions on the subject, as “churches have throughout the years adjusted their position, for instance, on divorce.”
Warren responded, “Well, if the Bible is the word of God, then I don’t have the right to change it. ... And to me, the Bible is very clear that sex is for a man and a woman in marriage only.” He added, “History shows that when the church accommodates culture, it weakens it. This is why there is a very weak church in Europe today. It’s almost nonexistent in many areas.”
Warren has become prominent nationally with his huge Southern California church and books such as The Purpose-Driven Life. He delivered the invocation at President Obama’s inauguration in 2009; his antigay stances made him a controversial choice for this assignment.
Watch video of the exchange on marriage below, courtesy of Think Progress.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM